The Coffee Company Newsletter March 2008
Win a Years Supply of Freshly Roasted Coffee
Spend over $30 in one transaction in our store or online before 31 May 2008 and go in the draw to win a years supply of freshly roasted coffee. Enter multiple times to increase your chances of winning! View full competition terms and conditions below this newsletter.
Coffee of the Month: Nicaraguan Maragogipe
Maragogipe is called the "elephant bean" for its incredibly large size and is a strictly high grown bean. A well balanced but complex cup of medium intensity with the smoky sweetness of ripe fruit notes and sweet spice flavours. Well suited to plunger or filter brewing. Purchase your coffee online from The Coffee Company.
Tea of the Month: Evening Mist
A lovely, colourful Japanese green tea with sunflower blossoms, cornflowers and rose petals. Read more about the health benefits of green tea Tea leaves and health. Purchase your tea online from The Coffee Company.
Specialty products from around the globe Easter gift hampers in-store, hand painted chocolate filled eggs, chocolate Easter bunnies and a broad range of specialty products from Hauswirth of Austria, Lindt of Switzerland, Gut Springenheide of Germany, Jacquot of France and Pink Lady and Hilliers of Australia.
The Coffee Company stocks three varieties of Rainforest Alliance Certified beans - Ipanema Espresso, Ipanema Gourmet and Nicaraguan Estate. The Rainforest Alliance works to protect wildlife, conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices worldwide. Coffee growers that receive Rainforest Alliance certification meet rigorous social and environmental standards encouraging true sustainability.
Grimac Mia Coffee Machine Features 1.3 litre copper boiler with 1300w resistance, water temperature control gauge and stainless steel pipes for hot water and continuous independent steam. Can be connected to your water supply or used with its 5 litre tank. View our coffee machine range.
Home Barista Tip: Enjoy good coffee on holidays Going away over Easter or the ANZAC Day long weekend? You can still make quality coffee while on holidays with these products. The Swiss Gold Coffee Traveller: a one cup gold filter, cup, spoon and three containers to store your coffee, milk and sugar. The Bodum Travel Press: 0.5L of fresh coffee to-go in a handy travel press. The VacuVin Coffee Saver: take your own fresh coffee with you in a vacuum sealed canister. View our range of coffee travel accessories.
Coffee News - February/March 2008
Prices of cocoa and coffee have been driven to the highest point in a decade. US investment funds have been pouring money into soft commodities to reduce exposure to struggling markets and consequently Arabica and Robusta bean prices have sharply increased over recent months.
Coffee Recipe: Pears poached in coffee syrup
1 cup very strong espresso
125g raw or brown sugar
1-2 cinnamon sticks
6 peeled whole pears rubbed with lemon juice
Mix coffee and sugar to make syrup by boiling for 5 minutes without stirring. Stand pears in syrup, cover and simmer 20- 25 minutes. Turn pears carefully with wooden spoon to coat evenly. Remove pears and reduce the syrup slightly. Pour syrup over pears to serve and chill. Serve with whipped cream and grated chocolate in a large martini or cocktail glass.
Win a Years' Supply of Freshly Roasted Coffee: Terms and Conditions
How to Enter
1. Information on how to enter and the prize details form part of these terms and conditions of entry. 2. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. 3. The competition 'Promoter' is The Coffee Company ACN 118 098 285. 4. Spend over $30 in one transaction in our store or online before 31 May 2008 and go in the draw to win a years' supply of freshly roasted Coffee Company coffee. 5. If a transaction over $30 is made in-store an entry form must be completed and submitted at the time of purchase in-store. 6. Transactions over $30 made online will automatically be entered into the competition. 7. Each transaction over $30 will be considered a separate entry. Entrants may enter multiple times.
Conditions of Entry
1. Valid in-store entry forms will only be supplied by employees of the Promoter at the time of purchase. 2. Full contact details must be provided to constitute a valid competition entry including full name, address, postcode, phone number and email address. 3. The competition is only open to Australian residents. 4. Employees and immediate families of the Promoter are not eligible to enter.
1. The competition will open on 27 March 2008 at 9am and close on 31 May 2008 at 6pm.
1. The winning entry will be drawn randomly by the Coffee Company proprietors at the Coffee Company on 12 June 2008 at 6pm. 2. The Promoter's decision is final and no discussion will be entered into. 3. There will be only one winner drawn.
1. The winner will receive a years' supply of their chosen type of freshly roasted Coffee Company coffee. 2. The prize may be collected in-store in person or by contacting the Promoter with adequate notice by email. 3. The prize value is to a maximum value of $500 inc GST, inclusive of postage and shipping charges. Postage and shipping charges will apply if the prize is not able to be collected in person at the store during normal business hours. 4. The prize may be redeemed in parts periodically over a period of 12 months from the date the prize is drawn. The balance of the prize value remaining to be collected will be recorded by the Promoter. 5. The prize may be redeemed periodically in bags of 500 grams or more on each occasion. 6. The prize is not transferable, exchangeable or redeemable for cash. 7. In the event of such cancellation, rescheduling or unavailability of the prize, the Promoter will endeavour, but is not obliged, to provide a substitute prize of equivalent value.
1. The winner will be notified by the Promoter by mail, phone or email.
Personal Information Collected
1. Competition entrants' details may be used to process your competition entry, for the future promotion of Coffee Company products and services and to improve our products and services. 2. Entrants' details will not be otherwise distributed or used for any other purpose.
The Coffee Company Newsletter November 2008
Coffee of the Month: Cuban Altura Lavado
This long awaited single origin coffee from the island of Cuba is a medium strength bean. During cupping we noted its rich, smooth and buttery texture with a hint of cocoa in the finish. Purchase your coffee online from The Coffee Company.
Tea of the Month: Dragonwell (AAA) Longjing
This fine green tea heads the list of the 10 Famous Chinese Teas and is made from tender young tea shoots rather than leaves. A Grade AAA green tea well-known for its fragrance, sweetness and shape, as well as associated health benefits Tea leaves and health. Purchase your tea online from The Coffee Company.
Christmas Specials: Specialty products from around the globe
German Stollen fruitcakes and the Italian classic, Panettone (delicious served warm with coffee), are now available in-store. Don't miss out on our other Christmas delicacies imported from Germany, Austria, Italy, Holland and Belgium.
Celebrity Coffee Blend: Kate Ceberano
Award winning singer and songwriter, Kate Ceberano, has been a highly valued customer of The Coffee Company for a number of years. Her favourite blend is The Coffee Company's own 'Cafe Bar'.
Hardware Update: Mazzer Grinders now available
Mazzer is back with a new Australian distributor. These commercial quality espresso grinders are compact in size and perfect for the serious home barista with doser, micrometrical grinding and dosing adjustment. We have in stock the latest arrivals of the Mini Manual Grinder (Silver or Black) and Mini-e Grinder (Silver or Black).
Home Barista Tip: The perfect tamper
To create a perfectly extracted espresso shot, 15kg of pressure should be evenly tamped on the ground coffee pellet before hot water passes through it. The 'Eazytamp' is a spring loaded tamper designed to exert the correct amount of pressure to produce consistently great coffee. Australian made, stainless steel with a high grade plastic handle and available in store now. For further details about the tamping process see our espresso machine brewing tips.
Make the coffee enthusiast in your life happy this holiday season by giving a Coffee Company gift voucher or hamper (available in store). View our gift voucher range on-line.
Coffee News - October/November 2007
East Timor - Unrest in East Timor has severely affected coffee production and supply. Fortunately, the Coffee Company has been able to secure a continuing supply of East Timor Organic during this period.
Brazil - The recent spell of drought-like conditions in Brazil, the largest producer of coffee, has lead to a volatile reaction from international coffee markets. Read more…
Victorian hospitals serve up babycinos - "More than 200 of Victoria's smallest premature babies have been having tiny drinks of caffeine to reduce their chances of cerebral palsy and cognitive disabilities…" Babycino? Give me real stuff
Coffee Recipe: The Espresso Martini
30ml cold espresso shot
45ml quality vodka
45ml coffee liqueur
30ml white creme de cacao
Pour ingredients into shaker filled with ice, shake vigorously, and strain into chilled martini glass. Martini should be somewhat frothy.
Double Boiler Domestic from Expobar
The Latest & greatest offering for serious espresso comes from Expobar in the form of the only semi-commercial with 2 boilers. The brewing boiler is thermostatically controlled by the user.The only other such machine is the La Marzocca for about $6K